Trump paused an imminent Iran strike after Gulf appeals, but warned Tehran faces overwhelming force.
US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that the United States was just one hour away from launching a major strike on Iran before he personally called off the attack.
Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump said the operation had been fully prepared and would have been underway at that moment had he not ordered a pause. “I was an hour away. We were all set to go,” he said, while warning that military action remains possible if negotiations fail.
Trump accused Iran of seeking nuclear weapons to destabilize the Middle East and threaten the wider world, declaring that such an outcome would never be allowed. He said the US may still be forced to deliver “another big hit” if Tehran refuses to accept a deal that permanently blocks its nuclear ambitions.
The President said regional leaders, including Qatar’s Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed, urged him to delay the planned attack because serious negotiations were underway.
Trump stated that any acceptable agreement must include one central condition: no nuclear weapons for Iran. He added that US forces remain prepared for a full large-scale assault at a moment’s notice if Tehran fails to reach a deal.
Synopsis: Trump paused an imminent Iran strike after Gulf appeals, but warned Tehran faces overwhelming force.
