Security guard among victims after gunmen target Islamic center, triggering massive law enforcement response.
A deadly shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on Monday left three people dead, including a facility security guard, and triggered a major multi-agency law enforcement operation across the area.
Police rushed to the religious complex around noon local time after reports of gunfire at the largest mosque in San Diego County. Authorities initially treated the incident as active but contained before later confirming that the threat had been neutralized.
FBI officials said two teenage suspects were later found dead inside a vehicle near the mosque. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said investigators are treating the attack as a hate crime because of the location and nature of the assault.
Nearby residents were told to shelter in place, while several schools were placed on precautionary lockdown. Major roads were also closed, including Interstate 805 offramps at Balboa Avenue, to support the emergency response and investigation.
California Governor Gavin Newsom’s office said he had been briefed and thanked first responders working to protect the community.
Federal and local authorities are continuing to investigate the suspects’ identities, motive, and background.
